MEMBER SPOTLIGHT: JUNE 2021
It’s another Member of the Month - but this time, it’s the College Edition! Meet Maddy Blaydes. Don’t know her? This is your perfect chance to learn a little bit more about Maddy - so keep reading...
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? I have been doing CrossFit since I was 14 years old, so for 7 years now! The people here have truly watched me grow up. I could not even drive when I first started coming to CrossFit WV.
2. What made you start coming to CrossFit WV? I started coming to CrossFit WV to stay in shape for high school sports. I would typically come in the spring when basketball season ended and continue through the summer until soccer season began. I quickly began to realize that my fitness was at its best in my off-season doing CrossFit. My senior year of high school - when I was trying to pick a college - one of my requirements was that there had to be a CrossFit gym nearby.
3. As a college student, you usually come back to the gym on your breaks from school. Tell us why. Anytime I am on break from school, whether it be a weekend or a few months, I always come back to the gym. After many years of doing CrossFit, it has become a part of my daily routine, so it is just a given that when I am home I will go to the gym. It is always so fun to come back and see everyone in class. The 8:15 a.m. class always gives me a warm welcome home!
4. What is your favorite movement and why? My favorite movement is probably the squat snatch because it happens so quickly yet it’s the most technical movement.
5. Tell us about your schooling (where you study, what is your major, what year you are...). I just graduated in May from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. I graduated with a degree in English Literature and am currently looking for a job.
6. If you aren’t working out at CrossFit, what else would you typically be doing? Cooking, walking, doing yoga, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.
7. CrossFit is different for each person. For someone your age, what do you like about it the most? I love that CrossFit can be for everyone. There is always an option to modify or progress. I started coming to CrossFit WV pretty young, and as I have grown up I have been able to get stronger and fitter because of it.
8. Tell us something people might not know about you. I ran a half marathon my sophomore year of college.
9. Do you have any CrossFit goals this year? To get better at pull ups and toes to bar!
10. What else would you like to share? Thank you CrossFit WV for always being a piece of home!
Member Spotlight: May 2021
The Member Spotlight for May 2021 is John and Lori Young - representing the morning classes at CFWV! Don’t know them? Well here’s your chance to get to know them. We asked some questions and they answered...and here’s what they had to say:
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit?
2. How did you get started in CrossFit? What do you love about it?
3. What class times do you usually workout? Lori works out at 8:15 a.m. and John works out at 5:30 a.m.
4. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit - and why?
5. Tell us something people might not know about you - either as a couple or individually? This August will make 40 years of marriage for us!
6. Besides CrossFit, what other activities do you enjoy doing together? Walking, going to church, going out for dinner, getting together with friends and family, hanging out on the back porch and working in the yard. We both have backpack leaf blowers! ☺️
7. What benefits do you get out of working out together, or doing the same workouts? The first question Lori asks when I walk in the door is how did I do with the WOD today? Even better, every day for about 10 years after her class, the minute she gets to her car she calls me and says, “Oh my gosh, that was so tough” and then she walks through the entire workout.
8. What do you do for a living?
9. What would you say to someone (or another couple) interested in trying out CrossFit?
Member Spotlight: April 2021
This month’s Member Spotlight is none other than Adrienne Ramey - better known to our group as Poppy. We sent Poppy some questions to answer, and she did not disappoint. Here’s what she had to say:
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? I started CrossFit WV in February of 2020, so just over a year. I had previously done CrossFit back in October of 2015 at Firebreather Fitness prior to physical therapy school.
2. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit - and why? My favorite movement has to be Deadlifts because it’s what I am best at, although I do really enjoy rest breaks!
3. How did you get started in CrossFit? What do you love about it? I decided to start back to CrossFit because I love to compete or be challenged and it was the most similar workout to my previous college softball conditioning. I struggled with going to the gym on my own and finding the self-motivation. With CrossFit, there is always a coach for encouragement or someone beside you to compete with. ☺️
4. What class time do you usually workout? Majority of the time I attend the 4:30 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. class. I am going to attempt a morning workout at some point.
5. What do you do for a living? I am a physical therapist at CAMC Medical Rehabilitation located in CAMC General Hospital.
6. Tell us something people might not know about you. I was a collegiate division II softball catcher for 4 years at WVSU and I have an odd obsession with sharks.
7. You just completed your first Open. Tell us about it! (Eye roll) I ONLY participated in the Open because of Scott Jarrell. I know hate is a strong word so I will refrain from using it, but we are no longer friends now because of it. As stated above, I do love a challenge so getting to participate in this year’s Open for the first time was a feeling of accomplishment. I loathe burpees so I hated that portion of the Open. I am certainly glad I participated and I’m glad that Scott peer pressured me enough to sign up.
8. If you aren’t at work or CrossFit, what else would you typically be doing? I love the outdoors so if the weather is nice you can find me outside riding side by sides, taking a hike, hunting/fishing or around a bonfire. I also love to travel so I’m always down for a trip...to anywhere. I’m not picky.
9. What are your 2021 CrossFit goals - and why? My goal is to achieve an unassisted pull up by the end of 2021 because I’m competitive and I’m tired of looking and feeling like Betty Spaghetti.
10. What else do you want to share? I want to thank you for choosing me to be April’s member of the month. This is also my birthday month, so happy birthday to me! I really enjoy being part of CrossFit WV’s family and look forward to working out with and meeting members. ☺️
Crossfit level 1 course
We are hosting a CrossFit Level 1 Course on May 22-23, 2021 in Charleston, WV! If you’ve ever wanted to become certified, now is your chance to do it locally.
Sign up at http://crossfit.com/certificate-courses!
MEMBER SPOTLIGHT: FEBRUARY 2021
We’re back with our newest Member(s) of the Month! Say hi to John & Betsy Willis - also known at our most recent Halloween competition as John and Moira Rose from Schitt’s Creek. We hope you enjoy learning more about them and reading their responses as much as we did. 😂
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit?
5. What class time do you usually workout?
9. What keeps you coming back to CrossFit WV? Crippling OCD and a lack of effective medications for such - and the people are fun!
MEMBER SPOTLIGHT: DECEMBER 2020
Our member spotlight for December 2020 is the Hudnall family! Eric, Sherri, Sarah and Stephanie come and workout together at CrossFit WV, so here’s your chance to get to know them a little more.
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? We’ve been doing CrossFit since February 2019.
2. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit (and why)?
3. Why - as a family - did you decide to start doing CrossFit? We needed to start doing something to improve our health. Throwing tires around and twirling barbells seemed like a good idea. Since starting, Eric has lost 70lbs!
4. What benefits do you get out of working out together? It gives us a chance to spend more time together as a family after a busy day apart.
5. What class time do you usually workout? Usually the 4:30 p.m. class but we are flexible.
6. Out of the four of you, who is most excited to workout each day and who needs a little bit of motivation? Eric actually really looks forward to the workouts. He most looks forward to Caroline’s uplifting instruction. Sarah needs the most motivation.
7. Besides CrossFit, what other activities do you enjoy doing as a family? We are all very active in the Charleston Light Opera Guild. In fact, all four of us were in The Little Mermaid a few years ago. During this season of pandemic, we have been taking up hiking as a fun family activity. Since September, we have hiked the Fisherman’s Trail at Carnifex Ferry, the Hawks Nest Rail-Trail and the Endless Wall.
8. Tell us something unique about each of you that we don’t already know. Eric and Sherri sing in a gospel group. Sarah and Stephanie both play piano and are students at West Virginia State University. While at Capital High School, both Sarah and Stephanie were members of the dance company and Stephanie was a three-year starter on the basketball team, selected as Captain her senior year.
CFWV BOOT CAMP
CrossFit WV will be holding a Boot Camp option in each of its classes starting Monday, November 30 until January 15. This option is open to anyone and everyone - no CrossFit experience necessary - and can be done as a regular workout. This is a FREE option for CFWV members and only costs $150 for non-members interested in checking it out. Contact Caroline by calling or texting her at (304) 389-6250 or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started! There’s no reason to wait until the New Year to get started on your fitness journey when you can start now!
Member Spotlight: November 2020
Our member spotlight for November 2020 is Shaun Douglas! Though he likes to be somewhat private, he humored us and answered our questions. Here’s what we found out:
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? I started CrossFit in June of 2017.
2. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit (and why)? My favorite movement is probably Double Unders since that was a movement I couldn’t do when I first started.
3. What got you started in CrossFit? How does CrossFit help you on a daily basis? I woke up one day and saw 211lbs on the scale and reached my limit. I was reaching a point where it was taking me the first 15-20 minutes of each morning to just get the stiffness out of my joints. CrossFit instructors have helped me identify instability in muscle groups (like favoring one leg or one arm) and helped me focus on strengthening those muscles, which has resulted in less pain and more mobility.
4. If you could take one movement out of your workout for the rest of your life, what would it be? One crazy tidbit I’ve learned in my short time at CrossFit is that you can combine any two benign movements into something mentally and physically miserable. Something as gentle sounding as light deadlifts and rowing. Sounds so simple...
5. What do you do for a living? I’m a Boston-based pilot for JetBlue Airways.
6. What class time do you typically workout? I primarily workout at the noon class.
7. Tell us something that most people might not know about you or your life. I have prior service in the Army 82nd Airborne. College in North Dakota. I’ve been a pilot for over 25 years.
8. What’s your favorite movie? Why? I can’t say any movie jumps out at me right now. I’d definitely say the Sci-Fi genre has always been my favorite. I’ve always believed that if it can be dreamed, there’s probably a way it can be real.
9. If you had to pick three of your favorite Thanksgiving dishes to eat every day, what would they be? Turkey, of course. Cranberry sauce when too much sugar is never enough! And pasta salad.
10. What else do you want to share? Ashleigh, Caroline, Rachael, Paula, Cliff, Nick, Timmyle, Tristan and the rest of the CrossFit trainers - thank you for making this experience so meaningful!
Looking for some new CrossFit WV merchandise to help spice up your workout wardrobe? Check out our new Online Store and browse all of your options! You can pay for your purchases online and either have them shipped directly to your home or pick them up in the CFWV office next time you come in to workout. Be sure to check out the store during the holidays for some marked down prices and special deals!
Member Spotlight: October 2020
Our member spotlight for October 2020 is Heather Darr! We sent Heather some questions to answer so everyone can get to know her a little better. Here’s what we found out:
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? I’ve been doing CrossFit for 2 years and a few months now.
2. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit? My favorite movement is the squat. Front squat, back squat, squat clean, etc. It’s my favorite because I am strong at it - and I can challenge myself and not feel like I might get hurt.
3. What got you started in CrossFit and/or how does CrossFit help you on a daily basis? I started CrossFit because my boss goes and she thought I would like it. I had already lost almost 60 pounds and was working out at home - but I had gotten as far as I could go. I needed a challenge. I am a recovering addict and CrossFit helps me on a daily basis because it provides structure, challenge, discipline and a sense of accomplishment. It is also therapeutic - the only time of the day I have moments where I am thinking about nothing but getting through the task at hand. My mood and emotions are all improved when I work out. We will have a really hard workout, I will see it before I come in and think there is no way (I’ll definitely modify or cut rounds), then I do it and am able to push through and I feel amazing. I love CrossFit and the people at the gym, and I could go on and on...
4. If you could take one movement out of your workout for the rest of your life, what would it be? It would be the snatch, only because it bothers my shoulders and I do not want to miss or be sidelined if I really got hurt. (Actually, I’ve already taken the snatch out of my workouts...)
5. What do you do for a living? I am the Office and Data Manager at the Rea of Hope in Charleston. We are sober living for women and their children. I love my job and the people I work with.
6. What class time do you workout? I work out in the 8:15 a.m. class.
7. Tell us something that most people might not know about you or your life? Most people might not know that I am going to be a Mimi!!
8. What was your all-time favorite Halloween costume? My all-time favorite Halloween costume was when I was Thing 1 and my best friend was Thing 2.
9. Would you rather be able to fly or read people’s minds? I would rather be able to fly. I am really not trying to know what other people are thinking. At all. Gross. Can you imagine being exposed to other people’s thoughts all day? I exhaust myself with my own. No thank you. And I certainly don’t want anyone reading my mind!
10. What else do you want to share? I love CrossFit. I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and was a drug addict. I never thought I would ever be able to get into shape or take care of myself physically. And here I am. :)