Our member spotlight for October 2020 is Heather Darr! We sent Heather some questions to answer so everyone can get to know her a little better. Here’s what we found out:
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? I’ve been doing CrossFit for 2 years and a few months now.
2. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit? My favorite movement is the squat. Front squat, back squat, squat clean, etc. It’s my favorite because I am strong at it - and I can challenge myself and not feel like I might get hurt.
3. What got you started in CrossFit and/or how does CrossFit help you on a daily basis? I started CrossFit because my boss goes and she thought I would like it. I had already lost almost 60 pounds and was working out at home - but I had gotten as far as I could go. I needed a challenge. I am a recovering addict and CrossFit helps me on a daily basis because it provides structure, challenge, discipline and a sense of accomplishment. It is also therapeutic - the only time of the day I have moments where I am thinking about nothing but getting through the task at hand. My mood and emotions are all improved when I work out. We will have a really hard workout, I will see it before I come in and think there is no way (I’ll definitely modify or cut rounds), then I do it and am able to push through and I feel amazing. I love CrossFit and the people at the gym, and I could go on and on...
4. If you could take one movement out of your workout for the rest of your life, what would it be? It would be the snatch, only because it bothers my shoulders and I do not want to miss or be sidelined if I really got hurt. (Actually, I’ve already taken the snatch out of my workouts...)
5. What do you do for a living? I am the Office and Data Manager at the Rea of Hope in Charleston. We are sober living for women and their children. I love my job and the people I work with.
6. What class time do you workout? I work out in the 8:15 a.m. class.
7. Tell us something that most people might not know about you or your life? Most people might not know that I am going to be a Mimi!!
8. What was your all-time favorite Halloween costume? My all-time favorite Halloween costume was when I was Thing 1 and my best friend was Thing 2.
9. Would you rather be able to fly or read people’s minds? I would rather be able to fly. I am really not trying to know what other people are thinking. At all. Gross. Can you imagine being exposed to other people’s thoughts all day? I exhaust myself with my own. No thank you. And I certainly don’t want anyone reading my mind!
10. What else do you want to share? I love CrossFit. I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and was a drug addict. I never thought I would ever be able to get into shape or take care of myself physically. And here I am. :)