Our member spotlight for November 2020 is Shaun Douglas! Though he likes to be somewhat private, he humored us and answered our questions. Here’s what we found out:
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? I started CrossFit in June of 2017.
2. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit (and why)? My favorite movement is probably Double Unders since that was a movement I couldn’t do when I first started.
3. What got you started in CrossFit? How does CrossFit help you on a daily basis? I woke up one day and saw 211lbs on the scale and reached my limit. I was reaching a point where it was taking me the first 15-20 minutes of each morning to just get the stiffness out of my joints. CrossFit instructors have helped me identify instability in muscle groups (like favoring one leg or one arm) and helped me focus on strengthening those muscles, which has resulted in less pain and more mobility.
4. If you could take one movement out of your workout for the rest of your life, what would it be? One crazy tidbit I’ve learned in my short time at CrossFit is that you can combine any two benign movements into something mentally and physically miserable. Something as gentle sounding as light deadlifts and rowing. Sounds so simple...
5. What do you do for a living? I’m a Boston-based pilot for JetBlue Airways.
6. What class time do you typically workout? I primarily workout at the noon class.
7. Tell us something that most people might not know about you or your life. I have prior service in the Army 82nd Airborne. College in North Dakota. I’ve been a pilot for over 25 years.
8. What’s your favorite movie? Why? I can’t say any movie jumps out at me right now. I’d definitely say the Sci-Fi genre has always been my favorite. I’ve always believed that if it can be dreamed, there’s probably a way it can be real.
9. If you had to pick three of your favorite Thanksgiving dishes to eat every day, what would they be? Turkey, of course. Cranberry sauce when too much sugar is never enough! And pasta salad.
10. What else do you want to share? Ashleigh, Caroline, Rachael, Paula, Cliff, Nick, Timmyle, Tristan and the rest of the CrossFit trainers - thank you for making this experience so meaningful!