Our member spotlight for November 2020 is Shaun Douglas! Though he likes to be somewhat private, he humored us and answered our questions. Here’s what we found out:
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? I started CrossFit in June of 2017.
2. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit (and why)? My favorite movement is probably Double Unders since that was a movement I couldn’t do when I first started.
3. What got you started in CrossFit? How does CrossFit help you on a daily basis? I woke up one day and saw 211lbs on the scale and reached my limit. I was reaching a point where it was taking me the first 15-20 minutes of each morning to just get the stiffness out of my joints. CrossFit instructors have helped me identify instability in muscle groups (like favoring one leg or one arm) and helped me focus on strengthening those muscles, which has resulted in less pain and more mobility.
4. If you could take one movement out of your workout for the rest of your life, what would it be? One crazy tidbit I’ve learned in my short time at CrossFit is that you can combine any two benign movements into something mentally and physically miserable. Something as gentle sounding as light deadlifts and rowing. Sounds so simple...
5. What do you do for a living? I’m a Boston-based pilot for JetBlue Airways.
6. What class time do you typically workout? I primarily workout at the noon class.
7. Tell us something that most people might not know about you or your life. I have prior service in the Army 82nd Airborne. College in North Dakota. I’ve been a pilot for over 25 years.
8. What’s your favorite movie? Why? I can’t say any movie jumps out at me right now. I’d definitely say the Sci-Fi genre has always been my favorite. I’ve always believed that if it can be dreamed, there’s probably a way it can be real.
9. If you had to pick three of your favorite Thanksgiving dishes to eat every day, what would they be? Turkey, of course. Cranberry sauce when too much sugar is never enough! And pasta salad.
10. What else do you want to share? Ashleigh, Caroline, Rachael, Paula, Cliff, Nick, Timmyle, Tristan and the rest of the CrossFit trainers - thank you for making this experience so meaningful!
Looking for some new CrossFit WV merchandise to help spice up your workout wardrobe? Check out our new Online Store and browse all of your options! You can pay for your purchases online and either have them shipped directly to your home or pick them up in the CFWV office next time you come in to workout. Be sure to check out the store during the holidays for some marked down prices and special deals!
Our member spotlight for October 2020 is Heather Darr! We sent Heather some questions to answer so everyone can get to know her a little better. Here’s what we found out:
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? I’ve been doing CrossFit for 2 years and a few months now.
2. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit? My favorite movement is the squat. Front squat, back squat, squat clean, etc. It’s my favorite because I am strong at it - and I can challenge myself and not feel like I might get hurt.
3. What got you started in CrossFit and/or how does CrossFit help you on a daily basis? I started CrossFit because my boss goes and she thought I would like it. I had already lost almost 60 pounds and was working out at home - but I had gotten as far as I could go. I needed a challenge. I am a recovering addict and CrossFit helps me on a daily basis because it provides structure, challenge, discipline and a sense of accomplishment. It is also therapeutic - the only time of the day I have moments where I am thinking about nothing but getting through the task at hand. My mood and emotions are all improved when I work out. We will have a really hard workout, I will see it before I come in and think there is no way (I’ll definitely modify or cut rounds), then I do it and am able to push through and I feel amazing. I love CrossFit and the people at the gym, and I could go on and on...
4. If you could take one movement out of your workout for the rest of your life, what would it be? It would be the snatch, only because it bothers my shoulders and I do not want to miss or be sidelined if I really got hurt. (Actually, I’ve already taken the snatch out of my workouts...)
5. What do you do for a living? I am the Office and Data Manager at the Rea of Hope in Charleston. We are sober living for women and their children. I love my job and the people I work with.
6. What class time do you workout? I work out in the 8:15 a.m. class.
7. Tell us something that most people might not know about you or your life? Most people might not know that I am going to be a Mimi!!
8. What was your all-time favorite Halloween costume? My all-time favorite Halloween costume was when I was Thing 1 and my best friend was Thing 2.
9. Would you rather be able to fly or read people’s minds? I would rather be able to fly. I am really not trying to know what other people are thinking. At all. Gross. Can you imagine being exposed to other people’s thoughts all day? I exhaust myself with my own. No thank you. And I certainly don’t want anyone reading my mind!
10. What else do you want to share? I love CrossFit. I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and was a drug addict. I never thought I would ever be able to get into shape or take care of myself physically. And here I am. :)