This month’s Member Spotlight is none other than Adrienne Ramey - better known to our group as Poppy. We sent Poppy some questions to answer, and she did not disappoint. Here’s what she had to say:
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit? I started CrossFit WV in February of 2020, so just over a year. I had previously done CrossFit back in October of 2015 at Firebreather Fitness prior to physical therapy school.
2. What is your favorite movement in CrossFit - and why? My favorite movement has to be Deadlifts because it’s what I am best at, although I do really enjoy rest breaks!
3. How did you get started in CrossFit? What do you love about it? I decided to start back to CrossFit because I love to compete or be challenged and it was the most similar workout to my previous college softball conditioning. I struggled with going to the gym on my own and finding the self-motivation. With CrossFit, there is always a coach for encouragement or someone beside you to compete with. ☺️
4. What class time do you usually workout? Majority of the time I attend the 4:30 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. class. I am going to attempt a morning workout at some point.
5. What do you do for a living? I am a physical therapist at CAMC Medical Rehabilitation located in CAMC General Hospital.
6. Tell us something people might not know about you. I was a collegiate division II softball catcher for 4 years at WVSU and I have an odd obsession with sharks.
7. You just completed your first Open. Tell us about it! (Eye roll) I ONLY participated in the Open because of Scott Jarrell. I know hate is a strong word so I will refrain from using it, but we are no longer friends now because of it. As stated above, I do love a challenge so getting to participate in this year’s Open for the first time was a feeling of accomplishment. I loathe burpees so I hated that portion of the Open. I am certainly glad I participated and I’m glad that Scott peer pressured me enough to sign up.
8. If you aren’t at work or CrossFit, what else would you typically be doing? I love the outdoors so if the weather is nice you can find me outside riding side by sides, taking a hike, hunting/fishing or around a bonfire. I also love to travel so I’m always down for a trip...to anywhere. I’m not picky.
9. What are your 2021 CrossFit goals - and why? My goal is to achieve an unassisted pull up by the end of 2021 because I’m competitive and I’m tired of looking and feeling like Betty Spaghetti.
10. What else do you want to share? I want to thank you for choosing me to be April’s member of the month. This is also my birthday month, so happy birthday to me! I really enjoy being part of CrossFit WV’s family and look forward to working out with and meeting members. ☺️